to walk worthily of the Lord, pleasing him in all respects


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lent, Day 37: We played the flute for you and you did not dance.

 
For when Herodias' daughter came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will grant it.”…So she went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?” And she said, “The head of John the baptizer.”

Herod kept John safe from Herodias’ desire to have him killed. Herod, however, could not keep John safe from himself. He compromised himself and his values, such as they were, for his base appetite.

It is ironic that the ascetic is killed by the one who cannot deny himself. Or maybe it isn’t.

Lord, please teach me (o how I tremble as I ask this) to deny myself.

No comments:

Blog Archive