to walk worthily of the Lord, pleasing him in all respects


Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lent, Day 24: Then, Lord, not just my feet but my hands and head as well.


As when Jesus came to Peter to wash his feet and Peter said no, so when Jesus comes to John to be baptized, John says no. "John prevented him, saying, 'I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?'"

Both Peter and John stop Jesus, or try to, out of a conviction that they better realize what is best for them. (Peter made a habit of standing in Jesus' way, from his calling, to his naming, to his denying, to his refusing [to do what was unclean].)

It is obvious that Jesus knows better than them . And is obvious that he knows better then me, at least it is up until I think he doesn't. I feel the need in the light of this story about John stopping Jesus to investigate the areas where I refuse Jesus - whether it is when he seeks to serve me or to have me serve him. I have to be careful because in either case (John's or Peter's) their reasoning seems more appropriate than Jesus'; probably that's true in my own life as well.

Lord, when these moments arise, let me trust you and your words, "You do not understand what I am doing now, but later you will understand."

No comments:

Blog Archive