to walk worthily of the Lord, pleasing him in all respects


Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fifth Sunday of Lent: I am not fit to carry his sandals

In this, the penultimate week of Lent, I am going to focus on comparisons between the ministries of the Baptist and the Christ. John's ministry is not simply to baptize the Lord but to point us toward him. To do this, John must point away from himself.

  • Day 29 - "I baptize with water but he baptizes with fire and Spirit"
  • Day 30 - "He who comes after me was before me."
  • Day 31 - "He must increase, but I must decrease."
  • Day 32 - "The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers,...but yours eat and drink."
  • Day 33 - "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"
  • Day 34 - "Among those born of women, none is greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

No comments:

Blog Archive